This is a great way to showcase some of the season’s best veggies- green and yellow beans, peppers and carrots. Their colors make the salad look bright and delicious. The salad is finished with a Dijon mustard dressing and toasted sunflower seeds.
- 1/2-pound green beans, topped and tailed
- 1/2-pound yellow wax beans, topped and tailed
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 6 cups salad greens
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves washed, thinly sliced
- Steam the beans until they are “fork-tender”- about 5 minutes. Run cold water over them to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Make the dressing, whisk the Dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt together in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Taste for seasoning. Add water if needed to get smooth consistency. Stir the basil leaves into the dressing
- Toss the beans with the dressing.
- In a large salad bowl, lay the shredded lettuce, and pile the dressed beans in the middle. Add carrots, red pepper and sunflower seeds. When you are ready to serve, toss the whole salad together.