Cooking for Wellness
Roasted Turnips w/ Paprika & Poppy Seeds
Despite looking somewhat similar to a potato, turnips are a cruciferous vegetable, in the same family as broccoli and kale. They’re low in calories and also have phytonutrients that help keep the body strong and help fight disease. This recipe is inspired by Northern Italian cuisine. See Chef Tim Caschette of Avvino Restaurant prepare it on Wilmot’s Facebook page.
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Lbs Turnips (1 inch dice)
- 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add turnips, salt, and pepper.
- Cook 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and soft.
- Coat with poppy seeds and paprika.
- Add vinegar and cook until evaporated. Serve hot.
Chef Tim Caschette of Avvino in Rochester, New York