A perfect entrée on a hot summer day when served over mixed greens. The lentils provide protein, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. This recipe should be made with French green lentils, which hold their shape better after cooking. Lentils do not require soaking before cooking. The cucumber, kalamata olives, cinnamon, cumin and feta cheese combine for a delicious Mediterranean flavor profile.
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed (preferably French green lentils)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (or ¼ tsp ground cinnamon)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, rinsed and sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Combine lentils, garlic, oregano, bay leaf and cinnamon in a saucepan and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the lentils thoroughly and discard whole spices.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the dressing. In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, salt and black pepper together.
- Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the red pepper, cucumber, olives, basil and parsley.
- Adjust seasonings. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese, if desired.
The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz