By combining lentils and bulgur, this dish provides complete protein, as well as dietary fiber. Top your favorite green salad with this recipe to turn it into an entrée. Or, fill a large lettuce leaf or blanched collard green with this salad to create a colorful, hand-held lettuce wrap!
Make the salad ahead of time and refrigerate for several hours or overnight so that the flavors develop.
- 6 servings
- 1 cup French Green lentils, uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ c chopped red onion
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ c water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce (e.g.: Tabasco)
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, optional
- In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils in the vegetable broth according about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain them.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the uncooked bulgur in a metal bowl. Pour boiling water over the bulgur. Stir. Cover bowl with lid or aluminum foil. Let it stand 20-30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Combine lentils and bulgur in a large bowl. Add the red onion and parsley. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Whisk ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over lentil/bulgur mixture. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate. Garnish with sliced scallions.
Jane Brody’s Good Food Book