Farro is a whole grain with a nutty flavor, perfect for a summer salad. Add juicy cherries, crunchy celery, and a honey mustard dressing for the perfect side dish. Pearled farro cooks in about 20 minutes. If you can't find farro, you can substitute wheat berries, barley, or quinoa.
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ cups uncooked farro
- 3/4 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add farro; cook 20-25 minutes or until al dente. Drain; cool at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Combine cooked farro, cherries, celery, walnuts, parsley and mint in a large bowl.
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, honey, pepper, and salt, stir with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour dressing over salad mixture; toss to coat.